1. EXPERIENCE– Her experience is as mayor of a city with a population of about 5,000 (at the time), and less than 2 years as governor of a state with about 670,000 residents. During her mayoral administration, most of the actual work of running this small city was turned over to a city administrator. She had been pushed to hire the administrator by party power-brokers after she had gotten herself into some trouble over numerous firings which had given rise to a recall campaign.
2. BUSINESS– Palin is no businesswoman! She has a history of making large business and investment blunders. While Mayor, she supported the construction of a hockey arena in Wasilla on land not owned by the city. This $1.3 million blunder ran up huge legal costs and ended when the city seized the private property under Eminent Domain, raising taxes to pay for it. When she took office the city had zero debt. She left it with over $22 million in debt. Not only was she a longtime supporter of the now-infamous “Bridge to Nowhere” project but, after its defeat, she kept the federal funds and doled them out to other local failed pork projects. Additionally, she sold off the Alaska Governor’s luxury jet at a $600,000 loss to a campaign contributor who is now seeking $50,000 in taxpayer funds to pay for maintenance costs.
3. ENERGY– She’s Big Oil’s little darling (next to Condoleeza, of course). She may not have an oil tanker named after her, but as Governor she accepted $13,000 from oil and gas lobbyists and BP– her husband’s employer– sponsored her inaugural ball. “I disagree with any candidate who says we can’t drill our way out of the problem” Palin said, recently repeating Cheney’s eight-year-old comment.
4. ENVIRONMENT– She’s no friend of the environment. She supports increased oil drilling and pipeline construction in some of our most environmentally sensitive areas, is against government funding of alternative energy sources, doubts that global warming is human-induced, is a supporter of the logging and mining industries, and she fought to remove the starving polar bear population from the endangered species list.
5. JOBS– She’s a supporter of failed trade agreements such as NAFTA and the WTO that have outsourced millions of American jobs to foreign countries.
6. INTEGRITY/ETHICS– She’s your typical two-faced politician. Palin says she’s for small government and low taxes, but while Mayor of Wasilla, AK she enjoyed taxing and spending. Under her watch, she increased the town’s sales tax by 25% and increased general government expenditures by over 33%. While Governor she sought travel reimbursements for 312 nights she spent at home in Wasilla. Despite running for Governor on an ethics platform, she has, on more than one occasion, used her political position to settle personal scores. She is accused of cronyism by people who worked with her and is under investigation by the state legislature for unjustly firing a State Commissioner who refused to fire her sister’s ex-husband, a state trooper.
7. CENSORSHIP– Palin doesn’t trust Americans to think for themselves. She supports censorship and book banning in schools and libraries. While Mayor, she tried to fire the town’s librarian for refusing to censor books she found objectionable.
8. ABORTION– She just doesn’t understand that not every woman wants a brood of children. If elected, Palin will work to criminalize abortion (even in rape cases) and cut family planning education and funding. Abstinence education didn’t work for her family, but she’s sure it will work for yours!
9. FOREIGN POLICY– She can’t name a single news source that she turns to for information on domestic or global matters. She claims that Alaska’s geographical proximity to Russia adds to her foreign policy experience, but didn’t own a passport until last year. She supports the war in Iraq and Bush’s failed preemptive war strategy, which would likely find us in more global entanglements for decades to come.
10. GOVERNANCE– She can’t name a single Supreme Court Decision other than Roe v. Wade. She’s a fundamentalist and extremist who believes in governing by her religious beliefs and her gut. Sound familiar? Haven’t we had enough? Let’s not go down this road again.
Harris, Sam (September 29, 2008). “When Atheists Attack”, Newsweek.
(August 29, 2008). Blog “Emperor’s Rants and Observations” at http://allalaskans.com/emperor/
Taibbi, Matt (October 2, 2008). National Affairs “Mad Dog Palin”, Rolling Stone Magazine
Klare, Michael T. (October 6, 2008). “Crashing the Election”, The Nation